Welcome to the Online International Journal of Vedic Mathematics.
Here we offer articles on Vedic Mathematics that are a bit technical or long for the Newsletter.
We welcome new articles. If you would like to submit an article to be published here please contact Kenneth Williams at . Articles should aim at the Vedic ideal of simplicity and directness and should be original. They should be well written and checked, and will be carefully examined by our team of Vedic Maths experts before acceptance.
Please note: if a link won't open click on the red PDF icon to view.
30. "General Formula for Multiplication"
by Romith Rao, April 2017.
A 3-step method to multiply any two integers.
29. "Cube Roots"
by Rohan Chandra, December 2016.
A variation of finding the cube roots.
28. "Multiplying numbers nearing multiples of different bases"
by Pietro Nolasco, November 2016.
Multiplying numbers near different multiples of different bases.
27. "Base Division"
by Nathan Annenberg, November 2015.
A Way to Better Focus the VM Base Division Algorithm
26. "Multiplying Numbers with Different Bases"
by Sameer Mittal, June 2015
Multiplying Numbers with Different Bases
25. "Power of Numbers"
by Sanjay Dixit, May 2015
Expansion of application of Binomial theorem to find higher powers of two, three and four digit numbers.
24. "Vedic Mathematics"
by Dr. S. K. Kapoor, May 2015
Organization format of Ganita Sutras runs parallel to the organization format of Sakala Rig-Ved Samhita, the source Vedic scripture.
23. "Squaring Made Easy"
by Rohan Chandra, May 2015
An easy way to square numbers 2-digit numbers where the last digit is over 5.
22. "Cubing 3 Digit Numbers by the Ratio Method"
by Kenneth Williams, March 2015
Extending Swami Tirtha's ratio method to cubing 3-digit numbers.
21. "Divisibility Tests"
by Rohan Chandra, January 2015
20. "Decimal Form of a Fraction - Part 1"
by Badriya Raihani, October 2014
This is a good introduction to recurring decimals.
19. "The Psychology of Vedic Mathematics"
by James Glover, January 2014
This discusses the question as to what is the nature of the Vedic sutras of Sri Bharati Krishna Tirthaji’s system such that they could cover all of mathematics.
18. "Calculating Powers Near a Base Number"
by Stephen Mogomotsi Modisane, November 2013
This extends Bharati Krsna’s method for squaring and cubing near a base number.
17. "Powers and Cyclicity"
by Debasis Basak, November 2013
Finding the last digit(s) of any number to any power (cyclicity)
16. "Observations from 'Figuring' by Shakuntala Devi"
by Sarwan Aggarwal, November 2013
Notes and discusses some connections between this book and Vedic Mathematics.
15. "Extending the application of the Vedic Maths sutras"
by James Glover, October 2013
Extending the Application of the Vedic Maths Sutras
14. "Two Step method"
by Vitthal B. Jadhav, October 2013
Novel Method for Squaring and Cubing of Any Number
13. "A Different Osculation Approach to Test Divisibility of Numbers"
by Raajesh Srinivasa Rama, August 2013
This shows four easy but very effective modifications that can be applied to Tirthaji’s osculation procedure.
12. "Nth Power of Pingala Chanda"
by Ranjani Chari, July 2013
This shows a method that was given by Pingala Chanda in 200 BC of raising a number to some power.
11. "Novel Algorithm for 'Nth Root of Number' using Multinomial Expansion"
by Vitthal Jadhav, March 2013
This gives a general algorithm to extract the nth root of any number. It also discusses various novel approaches to expand multinomial.
10. "Novel Methods for 'Reciprocal of Prime Number' using VM Osculator"
by Vitthal Jadhav, January 2013
This shows a number of applications of the osculator in recurring decimals.
9. "Solving Systems of linear equations using the Paravartya rule in Vedic Mathematics"
by D.K.R. Babajee, August 2012
This develops Tirthaji's method for solving simultaneous equations, showing how it can be used to solve systems of equations.
8. "Recursion based Derivation of Duplex Square Method"
by Vitthal Jadhav, June 2012
This proves the Vedic duplex method of squaring numbers.
7. "A Method for Finding the Square of any Number"
by D.K.R. Babajee, June 2012
An unexpected extension of the method for squaring a number near a base which leads to a general method of squaring.
6. "Faster Division by 10n-1 or Monodigit Number"
by Vitthal Jadhav, April 2012
Dividing by monodigit numbers like 7777, with proof and example.
5. "Ellipse Problem Solved using Triple Code Numbers"
By Steven Vogel, March 2012
Here we see how to use triple code numbers to solve the problem of finding integral points on an ellipse where the ellipse must also be defined in terms of integers.
4. "Triples and the Mandelbrot Set"
by Kenneth Williams, March 2012
This introduces the Mandelbrot Set and shows how it can be explained more simply than the usual way (which involves a knowledge of complex numbers). No prior knowledge of triples or the Mandelbrot set is required.
3. "Magic of Sub-Sutra"
by Sarwan Aggarwal, February 2012
Showing applications of the Vedic sub-sutra: "For 7, multiplier is 143"
Below are articles from previous newsletters which are also of a more technical nature.
2. AN INTERESTING VEDIC MATH APPLICATION (on compound interest) by Steven Vogel
1. ONE WAY OF LOOKING AT THE BINOMIAL THEOREM by Steven Vogel